- Type:Luxury Hotel
- Summary:A peaceful luxury hotel built to resemble an Andean village
- Feature:An excellent base from which to explore ancient Machu Picchu
- Rooms:21 rooms & suites and 2 villas
- Location:Cuzco ,
- Star rating:5 Star
- Nearest airport:Cuzco Airport
Location and transfer
1 hour, 30 minutes from Cuzco Airport (Velazco Astete Airport) by private car transfer.
Guest rooms and suites feature fully stocked mini-bars, tea and coffee-making facilities, heaters, hairdryers, bathrobes and slippers, toiletries, in-room safes, iPod docks with iPods loaded with music to loan, direct-dial telephones and large private terraces. To maintain a tranquil ambience and ensure guests maximise the advantages of the hotel's stress-reducing atmosphere, there are no televisions in the accommodation, but they (and DVD players) are available upon request. There is twice-daily maid service.
Deluxe Terrace Room:+
- Rooms: 10
- Size: 42m²
- Room View: Urubamba River and Sacred Valley views
- Facilities: Constructed from natural materials, such as stone and wood, these bright and spacious guest rooms each offer either a king-size bed, queen-size bed or twin double beds dressed in Peruvian cotton sheets, a large and private flagstone terrace and a luxurious Swiss-style marble bathroom with a heated wooden floor. Furnishings are accented with brightly-coloured, traditional-style covers and throws.
- Rooms: 11
- Size: 72m²
- Room View: Sacred Valley, river and private garden views
- Facilities: The light-filled Junior Suites are substantially larger than the lead-in Deluxe Terrace Rooms, but offer a similar style of minimalist decor, comprising wooden floors and whitewashed walls, accented by brightly coloured Peruvian design in the soft furnishings. Each one boasts a king-size bed or twin queen-size beds dressed in Peruvian cotton sheets, a luxurious Swiss-style marble bathroom offering views of Urubamba River, large slanted windows and a heated wooden floor and the stunning feature of a spacious, furnished flagstone terrace leading to a private lawned garden landscaped with brightly coloured flowers and shrubs, and offering excellent views of the river below.
Villa Capuli & Villa Orquidea:+
- Rooms: 2
- Size: 220m²
- Room View: Urubamba River or Sacred Valley views
- Facilities: These splendid two-storey villas are constructed from timber and stone and each one provides spacious, stylish accommodation for up to six guests in their three large en suite bedrooms. Whitewashed walls, high ceilings and wooden floors provide the backdrop for contemporary-style furnishings, Inca crafts, brightly coloured Peruvian soft furnishings and log-burning fireplaces, with each villa comprising a full kitchen, dining room and a living room to complement the three stylish bedrooms, which feature Swiss-style marble bathrooms with heated wooden floors. Banks of windows lead out to the furnished private terraces and a delightful wildflower garden that fronts the river. Villa Capuli overlooks the Urubamba River, while Villa Orquidea boasts splendid panoramic views of the valley. Butler and maid service is available, on request.
In addition to Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado's two restaurants, the bar boasts a fabulous location overlooking Urubamba River and serves a selection of international fine wines and spirits.
- Cuisine: Fine dining Peruvian and International cuisine
- Setting: Open from first thing in the morning until 10pm at night, this refined restaurant invokes a sophisticated ambience and is the perfect venue in which to enjoy a candlelit dinner. Wooden floors, whitewashed walls, red velvet-covered chairs and tables dressed in linen, sparkling wine glasses and small arrangments of flowers just add to the fabulous menu of local specialities and International dishes, which use plentiful, flavoursome fresh herbs and spices.
- Dress Code: Smart/casual
- Children's Menu: Yes
- Vegetarian Menu: Yes
- Cuisine: Peruvian dishes and barbecue fare
- Setting: This lovely alfresco venue provides a great backdrop for laid-back lunches accompanied by the sweet sound of birdsong and the tinkling of the nearby river's water. Each dish makes the best use of seasonal local produce and the homemade breads are not to be missed!
- Dress Code: Casual
- Children's Menu: Yes
- Vegetarian Menu: Yes
Families are made very welcome at Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado and there are a number of activities available at the complimentary, year-round Wawa Kids' Club, such as feeding baby alpacas, games and complimentary alfresco art classes. The club welcomes children over four years old, but younger children may attend if accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Babysitting is available (at an additional charge, payable locally) and each restaurant has a children's menu.
Health & Fitness
Mayu Wilka spa is open from 9am until 9pm daily and offers a collection of massage treatments, therapies and even holistic fitness classes. The treatment rooms are complemented by an indoor/outdoor Jacuzzi, steam room and sauna.
In addition, there are complimentary yoga classes twice a week and mystic ceremonies, where an Andean Shaman will bring you closer to nature and rejuvenate your spirit.
Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado enjoys a peaceful location in a spectacular rural setting, yet is a superb base from which to visit the nearby villages of Pisac, which boasts a popular and colourful market frequented by locals and tourists alike, the ruins of an ancient hilltop citadel and an impressive arrangement of agricultural terraces; Ollantaytambo, one of the oldest continually occupied settlements in the entire Americas, and cultural sites, most notably the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Machu Picchu, which can be found to the northern end of the Sacred Valley and can be reached in under two hours by train.
Apart from the cultural attractions in and around the valley, the area offers the perfect playground for adventure. River rafting down the rapids of the Urubamba River might appeal, supplemented by a fortifying al fresco picnic lunch afterwards, or how about enjoying a horse-riding excursion atop a Peruvian Paso, which reputedly offer the smoothest ride of all the world's horses? The hotel recommends three circuits, which are perfect for two people and allow for exploration of the local neighbourhood and surrounding countryside, including the town of Maras, famous for its striking, terraced salt evaporation ponds, which are located just a kilometre from town. Mountain-bikes are available for hire from the hotel and provide an alternative mode of transport from which to enjoy the splendid scenery.