- Summary:A fantastic farm location with a relaxing atmosphere
- Feature:The seasonal cuisine and wines are simply mouthwatering
- Rooms:13 suites & 1 cottage
- Location:Wharekauhau ,
New Zealand’s North Island ,
- Nearest airport:Wellington Airport
Location and transfer
1 hour, 30 minutes by private car transfer or 15 minutes by helicopter from Wellington Airport.
All guest suites are located within 150 metres of the main lodge and each one features a mini-bar (charges apply), tea and coffee-making facilities, a hairdryer, bathrobes, bathroom amenities, a personal safe, flat-screen satellite television, DVD/CD player, telephone, iPod/iPhone docking station, wi-fi internet access, underfloor heating, a walk-in wardrobe and twice daily maid service.
- Rooms: 13
- Room View: Various views
- Facilities: High above the thunderous surf of Palliser Bay, a small cluster of cottages can be seen amongst the sheep that dot the pastures. Suites are elegantly decorated in natural materials, such as clay, New Zealand wool and hemp, in tones of yellow and cream, while amenities are contemporary and luxurious, such as the super-king-size beds, gas fireplaces, iPod docking stations, double spa baths, heated marble floors, comfortable sofas and delightful touches, such as homemade cookies and fluffy pillows. These suites can be interconnecting, which makes them ideal for families or groups of friends.
- Rooms: 1
- Room View: Palliser Bay and Onoke Sandspit views
- Facilities: Wharepapa Cottage is located on sloping pastureland, just four kilometres from the main lodge, and would make a perfect retreat for families wishing to enjoy a long stay at Wharekauhau Country Estate. The three-bedroom residence comprises a spacious, open-plan lounge, dining room and fully equipped kitchen, with floor-to-ceiling windows that drink in the staggering surrounding area, while outdoors the magnificent terrace faces the ocean, providing terrific views and opportunities for laid-back barbecue lunches. For convenience, guests are also able to dine at the main lodge, with prior notice.
Breakfast, pre-dinner drinks, canapes and dinner are included in the tariff. Daily a la carte luncheon and picnic hampers are available, at an additional charge. For a special treat, the Long Lunch is offered from Monday to Saturday and comprises a menu of three-course options, plus fine wines, while on Sundays, the Chef prepares his five-course degustation-style lunch menu. Charges apply for both of these options and pre-booking is highly recommended.
Wharekauhau Dining Room:+
- Cuisine: Seasonal cuisine
- Setting: Breakfast is taken, family-style, in the Country Kitchen, while dining at Wharekauhau Country Estate resembles a private dinner party, with guests enjoying pre-dinner drinks and canapes before being seated at grand tables.
- Dress Code: Smart/casual
- Children's Menu: No
- Vegetarian Menu: Yes
The spacious and well-equipped estate houses are the perfect choice for families, while children will enjoy the ground's facilities, including the tennis court and swimming pool. Meals are taken in the main kitchen, but children under fifteen years old are required to dine separately.
Health & Fitness
A range of treatments and massages are available at the spa.
A variety of activities and excursions for more adventurous guests are available, including 4x4 safaris, quad-biking, hiking, archery, clay target shooting and specialist wine tours to nearby vineyards.